Victoria Falls is one of Africa’s greatest spectacles. On the border between Zimbabwe and Zambia, the wide Zambezi River suddenly turns into a majestic white torrent as it plunges a hundred metres into the canyon below. Known as the “smoke that thunders” or “Mosi-oa-Tunya”, it is the largest sheet of falling water in the world. Witnessing this firsthand is a once-in-a-lifetime experience but what truly sets Victoria Falls apart is the variety of activities the area offers, from a sundowner cruise to an elephant encounter or an adrenaline-fuelled river rafting experience – there is truly something for everyone.
Feel the rush of an African adventure
Picture yourself ziplining through an ancient rainforest or hurtling down rapids in a rubber dinghy? Victoria Falls is a playground for thrill-seekers, from novices to experienced adrenaline junkies.
Here are four ways to get your pulse racing:
- Do one of the legendary river rafting trips down the mighty Zambezi River.
- Zipline between trees in a misty and enchanting rainforest.
- Feel like you’re flying when you bungee jump 111m from the Victoria Falls bridge into the chasm below.
- Take to the skies to get a birds-eye view of the falls. Choose between a helicopter tour, a microlight flight, or (for those looking an adrenaline rush) a tandem parachute ride.
Discover the romance of Africa
With its spectacular natural beauty and many luxurious hotels, Victoria Falls is an idyllic place to take some time out and reconnect with loved ones. It also makes for a spellbinding backdrop to a honeymoon, no matter whether you are newlyweds or celebrating a special anniversary.
Here are five ways to create magical memories:
- Experience the old world charm of train travel by arriving in Victoria Falls aboard a luxury locomotive.
- Take a sunset cruise down the beautiful Zambezi River aboard an authentic riverboat and sip champagne as you watch the sunset over the African wilderness.
- Spot a rainbow while enjoying your own natural infinity pool experience at Devil Pools, a rock pool at the edge of the falls.
- Explore the spectacular landscape around the falls on horseback.
- Relax with a custom spa experience designed with your particular needs in mind.
Experience wild Africa
Zimbabwe is home to spectacular wildlife and Victoria Falls is a great base from which to explore some of the country’s pristine parks and wilderness areas.
Here are four ways to get up close and personal with African wildlife:
- Enjoy a safari at Hwange National Park. As the largest park in Zimbabwe Hwange offers you the chance to glimpse a huge array of wild animals and birds, all in their natural habitat.
- Walk with lions. This ethical conservation programme aims to re-introduce the offspring of rehabilitated lions back into the wild.
- Meet an elephant. An elephant encounter gives you the opportunity to get up close and personal with these gentle giants while learning more about their incredible intelligence and complex social structures.
- Mana Pools National Park is famous for the visibility of its game, thanks to its location on the banks of the Zambezi. Here you can visit the legendary Long Pool where you can see elephants, crocodiles and hippos.
Meet the friendliest people on the continent
Zimbabweans have a reputation for warm hospitality. Experience this firsthand when you share a meal with a local family or dive into the culture and history of Africa’s legendary land of Ophir, the ancient kingdom known for its ivory and gold.
Here are two ways to learn about local customs and culture:
- Explore the famous Chinhoyi caves. These limestone and dolomite caves are places of myth and legend. It is said that they were once used by a Mashona chief to keep his people safe from marauders.
- Share stories over a homemade feast with a local family as their dinner or lunch guest. This experience allows you to sample the famous Zimbabwean hospitality alongside delicious and authentic local fare.
No matter which option you choose, a visit to Victoria Falls will ensure you’ll go home with memories to last a lifetime. Curious to find out more? Discover our Indaba Tour which includes three magical nights at Victoria Falls.