The Blue Train, in its charisma and majesty has been synonymous with the ultimate in luxury travel since 1946.It offers a unique way of traversing some of Southern Africa’s magnificent landscapes and landmarks.
The Blue Train
The Blue Train
The Blue Train, in its charisma and majesty has been synonymous with the ultimate in luxury travel since 1946.It offers a unique way of traversing some of Southern Africa’s magnificent landscapes and landmarks. The word “luxury” is often inaccurately tossed around. However on this train luxury assumes a new dimension. On board, guests indulge in fine cuisine accompanied by some of the best wines South Africa, if not the world, has to offer. Personal butlers are at the guests’ beck-and-call, to see to the guests’ every need; be it in the comfort of their private suites or at any one of the exquisite lounges.
The strap line “A Window to the Soul of South Africa” says it all. Enjoy the splendid views of the South African countryside in your own “forced” relaxation luxury cocoon of comfort – without a doubt, an experience never to be forgotten!
Perfect for that celebration – be it a honeymoon, a special birthday or an anniversary. Elegant and chic with every detail taken care of including fully en-suite bathrooms
Some unique Blue Train attributes:
- Strong heritage
- Panoramic size windows
- Modern and Technological advancement of the product - Driver’s Eye View camera, unique coupling, air-cushion suspension system with coils on wheels – which allows for a smoothest rides found on a train, TV monitor in the suites, improved automated entertainment system, GPS and WI-FI
- Travel throughout day and night (don’t have to stop for our guests to enjoy a peaceful night’s rest) on one of the smoothest rides in train travel.
- On board entertainment (TV monitors in room enabling guests to watch movies, selection of music channels and radio stations to listen to etc.)
- Luxurious, comfortable experience
The train glides through the changing vistas as it makes its journey through wide open farmlands, rugged mountains, semi-arid desert, dams pink with flamingoes, Cape Winelands, gold and diamond mining landscapes, an abundance of wildflowers and of course Table Mountain.
The most popular and frequently operated journey is a 30-hour one-way overnight journey in either direction between Pretoria and Cape Town that takes guests through spectacular African landscapes. The train travels on selected Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays in both directions. Other seasonal packages to areas such as Durban and the Kruger Park are also available.
On the Pretoria to Cape Town route, guests will get to experience an ever-changing view of 1,600 kilometres of South Africa’s varied & stunning scenery through the window of the most lavish train on the planet, and it will only take one night out of their precious holiday time - making it ideal for visitors with a shorter stay in South Africa.
Southbound (Pretoria – Cape Town), the value-add off-the-train excursion includes a stop at Kimberley, with a visit to the Diamond Mine Museum and to the edge of The Big Hole.
Northbound (Cape Town – Pretoria), the off-the-train excursion is at Matjiesfontein (pronounced My-keys-fontaine) in the Little Karoo. The entire village has been declared a National Museum and the tour includes a drink at the historic Lord Milner Hotel.
This overnight journey fits perfectly even into relatively short itineraries and guests can be assured of a good night’s rest due to the very gentle motion, achieved through The Blue Train’s advanced suspension system. Much of the nighttime journey is through the semi-arid Karoo desert so there is nothing to see but the stars!
Check-in is an hour (07h30) before departure and guests can relax in the pre-departure lounges at Pretoria or Cape Town train stations. Departures from both Cape Town an d Pretoria will be at 08h30, arriving the next day just after Noontime.
All suites have the following facilities:
- En -suite bathrooms - elegantly decorated with Italian marble and gold plated fittings, fully remote controlled facilities – blinds etc.
- Fully soundproofed
- Individually-controlled air-conditioning
- Under floor heating
- Personal butlers offer 24-hour room serviceo
- GPS system and TV monitor to track the train’s progress and share the driver’s view
- Interactive Entertainment System
The Club Car Lounge: The only area where smoking is permitted. A very popular lounge after dinner as Cognacs and hand-made cigars are served here. The lounge boasts a well-stocked bar, coffee table books, magazines and board games. It is situated at the front of the train so non-smokers don’t have to go through it, to access the other areas of the train.
The Lounge Car: A non-smoking lounge in which to relax and enjoy Afternoon High Tea and snacks.
Dining Car: Guests all enjoy the very finest dining on board with an excellent choice of both local and international dishes. The Dining Car seats 42 people and serves meals in two sessions when trains are at full capacities. Guests are able to select their seating time upon reservation or on arrival once on board. The wine list has for a number of years secured the Annual Diner’s Club Award of Approval plus many other accolades.
Rates include: All meals, all drinks (including South African sparkling wine).
Rates exclude: Gratuities, imported French Champagne, caviar and telephone calls outside the train.
Children: Children 5 years and younger sharing a suite with their parents travel free of charge (maximum of two children per suite). Due to space constraints, The Blue Train will not be able to accommodate any additional bed and / or mattress or a cot in the suite to accommodate infants / children. Children between 6 and 11 years of age, pay 50% of the adult rate, in a separate suite. Children 12 years and older pay the full adult rate per person sharing and will be accommodated in a separate suite.
Dress code: Smart-casual during the day but a jacket and tie are compulsory for gentlemen in the evening. Ladies to dress elegantly for dinner.
Luggage: Small cases or overnight bags are recommended. Larger luggage will be stored in the luggage carriage.
The Blue Train offers far more than just a journey. It is an all-inclusive experience offering a combination of unsurpassed luxury travel, five star-accommodation, fine cuisine, personalised butler service and routes that offer breathtaking views of the countryside. So take a journey into a timeless world of grace, elegance and romance, where spectacular scenery stirs your imagination and luxurious comfort soothes your body, mind and soul.
Why we like it…
- Warm -hearted South African hospitality
- Personal attention and devotion to detail
- Unsurpassed, world-renowned, luxury travel
- Five-star accommodation
- Personalized butler service - including unlimited room service, minimum laundry service
- Unlimited snacks, gourmet meals, all drinks (non-alcoholic and alcoholic - including fine wines sourced from the top South African winemakers and premium alcoholic brands) and hand-made Cuban cigars.
- The train's journeys take guests through some of the most breathtaking countryside to be found anywhere in the world